Coyote Hunting in Central Minnesota

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Dcoy
Top Dog

Re: Coyote Hunting in Central Minnesota

Post by Dcoy »

Starting to sound more and more like SoDak rifle deer season. :(
EO caller

Post by EO caller »

Chris,
I can do that here. :oops: We called all day Saturday and never saw or heard anything. Then Sunday you couldn't cut a loud fart without having a coyote come in. :wink: Maybe I'll get to travel around with you guys in a couple of weeks. :D
"CHASIN A DREAM-LIVIN A NIGHTMARE"
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

LeviM wrote:
bucksnbears wrote:what do you mean by RUN ???
Snowmobiles, and trucks with AR-15s.

I really love when they sit in the bar and brag about the amount of coyotes they shot and actually call it "coyote hunting" I also get a kick, when you see them driving around in their trucks with full white on with calls around their necks. LOL
We've got our share of those guys here too! :evil:

Out there "massacring coyotes" (massacre to them means 12 kills over the course of the entire winter :lol: ) to save the deer, but they dont give a second thought to all the deer they harass inadvertantly (and sometimes on purpose) with their damn sleds. Ive seen deer run a full 2 miles just because a sled went by a 1/2 mile away, tongues hanging out damn near ready to keel over exhausted!
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

I can't even describe the amount of pressure on the coyotes in my part of MN. Levi struck on something that makes me very angry. The road warriors that don't have enough sense to keep their damned mouths shut about the way they choose to hunt. It's one thing for a rancher or state trapper to be somewhat ruthless in the way they hunt. People who hunt for sport have no business running down animals of any kind with a vehicle of any kind. I'm sorry to get "preachy" on you guys, but that sort of thing pisses me off. Also I'm told the guys who use hounds don't need landowner permission to cut their dogs loose on private property. This has led to some bad blood in my area. It's almost impossible to have a good season in my area without acting like a moron when you hunt. It's a bummer but that's how it is.
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

Im pretty sure the houndsmen need permission before they purposefully cut dogs loose on private property, even in MN. Now im sure they use the "we lost control of 'em" excuse quite a bit, I know the guys that used to run em back home used that one a lot. That is, until a few of their dogs turned up missing.

Back in the early 90s when we still had a good fox pop. there were a few guys running greyhounds. Three or four dogs followed 1/4 mile back by a guy on a four wheeler, going wherever they damn well felt like it. If confronted, it was always the same old song and dance, "im just out here to catch em up and move on"......my eye!

Few dogs turned up missing, and the monkeyshines stopped mighty quick.

Nothing against houndsmen, id like to try it someday (for cats), but ive heard a lot of horror stories about the way they operate.
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

You may very well be right barebackjack. It might be a matter of them bending the truth a bit. It amounts to the same thing in the end though. I personally know a guy who went over to one of his farmsites one evening to feed his calves. When he got there he found a group of hunters in various vehicles and two coyotes hiding in one of his barns. The hounds were raising hell with them but couldn't get them to leave the barn. Eventually they did run out and were shot off the road. Oh, the hunters did not have permission to be there. I really wish I was making this stuff up.
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

my brother was recently pheasant hunting in one of our favorite coyote areas and said the snowmobilers were already out chasing coyotes. he actually seen it as he was going out to call.. he seen 9 coyotes running from them :evil: . last year i was having a few beers at a remote little bar and had a guy tell me that him and some buddies got 60 coyotes in 2 days off sleds. had to bite my tounge as he was buddies with one of my rancher contacts. i personally have no problem with ranchers that have livestock doing it. its there livelyhood, but guys that do it illeagally chap my ass. i will admit though, even though i've never did it,if it were legal i might do it?? not sure though??
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I can honeslty say i have killed a coyote over hounds. There is only one group i would even go with again, and the main reason is because he hunts 100% legal. When you look on the dash of his truck, you will see a huge 3 ring binder that is full of handwritten notes with signatures from landowners stating that it is ok for him to hunt there property. They even have a DNR officer hunt with them on his off days. He also runs bobcats in northern MN. They aren't all bad, but a lot of them are ruthless. I wont comment on guys chasing them with sleds though, i would carpel tunnel from typing too much :evil:
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
MNHunter
coyotehunter

Post by MNHunter »

I know of a few groups in my area that use dogs. They say they get about 100 or so a winter. This is just my opinion, but sending a pack of dogs to chase another 25-35lb dog out so you can shoot it, just doesn't seem to take a lot of skill. Even after getting nothing so far, I still enjoy calling. It is a real challange. You have to do a lot of things well to be successful at it. Not to mention having a good ammount of luck. Just learning to call has been a challange. I still need a lot of work, but can see improvement every day. My shooting skils are pretty good, but a target with fur on it would be nice ;)

What do you guys think about a 600+ acre tamarack bog? It is by my parents and brothers house. Thier land borders it. It is a DNR SNA, so nothing but foot trafic can go in it. Tons of deer, rabbits, and mice. Like I said before I did find wolf tracks and beds. I do hear coyotes there in the summer. No one hunts it. It is surrounded by private land. The only thing I don't know is if the wolves chase out the coyotes. Anyone near central MN may have heard of the St. Wendal tamarack bog.
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

i think tamarack bogs would be a great place for coyotes. specially during a deep snow year
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

MNHunter wrote:Anyone near central MN may have heard of the St. Wendal tamarack bog.
You are about 5 miles from my house when your at the st. wendel swamps!! There is a very large deer herd that winters there almost every year. When my dad flew over that swamp with a friend in a parachute plane, they saw coyotes running right in the deer herd.
Chris Lyon

MNHunter
coyotehunter

Post by MNHunter »

Well, lets go. We could use some advice and gudence from someone that has done this before. It is a bit of work to get into it, but not too bad. We walked about 2 1/2 miles through it about 3 weeks ago. I just don't know how to set up in there. It would be like sitting in the woods. It should be a good place. No vehicles allowed. No dogs either. But it is open to all hunting.
Attachments
Bog.jpg
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

PM sent MNhunter.
Chris Lyon

barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

lyonch wrote: I wont comment on guys chasing them with sleds though, i would carpel tunnel from typing too much :evil:
Snowmobiles is a bad word in my house and liable to get your mouth washed out with soap for using. :evil:
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

I think Lyonch was bowhunting there this afternoon.That 'google' looks familiar. :mrgreen: